Sedalia Downtown Development Inc. (SDDI) is a non profit organization formed in 1993 to advocate and support revitalization efforts for the historic buildings and the history itself of downtown Sedalia, Missouri. SDDI works with property owners, the City of Sedalia, State and Federal agencies to facilitate economic development and historic preservation of the town’s central business district.
Mission Statement: Sedalia Downtown Development, Inc. will unite the entire Sedalia community for the economic and cultural revitalization on the downtown area.
Vision Statement: “Downtown Sedalia is a vibrant prosperous commercial district filled with unique shops of arts, antiques and one-of-a-kind items that serve to attract large numbers of area shoppers and visitors to the downtown. With continuity of design from sidewalks, street crossings and lamp posts to signage and landscape enhancements, the downtown is seen as a true ”district” and is revitalized with a distinct sense of place. The renovation and preservation of the great architectural treasures offer increased opportunities for people to work and live within the district.
Serving as the seat of city and county government, the downtown continues to support its strong professional base, while attracting tourism visitors through promoting its rich and colorful heritage. Downtown Sedalia is a center of commerce, culture and entertainment where merchants greet their customers by name and welcome visitors with the warmth and hospitality of the community’s true heritage.”
The City and Sedalia Downtown Development Inc. were pleased with the city’s selection as part of the State of Missouri’s DREAM Initiative in 2006. Recent DREAM accomplishments for the city include:
- Establishing the Mid-Town Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District to facilitate downtown revitalization projects
- Rehabilitating the Furnell Landmarks Buildings into a mixed-use commercial and residential facility using Missouri Housing Development Commission (MHDC) funding
- Obtaining Home Repair Opportunity (HeRO) program funding for qualifying residential properties from MDHC
- Finishing three phases of a streetscape project along Ohio Avenue and seeking additional funding to complete it.
- Planning the 2010 rehabilitation and conversion of the Commerce Building in Downtown Sedalia into residential units with funding from MHDC.
The organization welcomes volunteers and charitable donations in its goal of enhancing the economic vitality and architectural beauty of downtown Sedalia’s rich inventory of commercial, institutional and industrial buildings. SDDI is located in the Amtrak Depot at 105 West Pacific just off of Ohio Avenue.
For more information, contact:
Sedalia Downtown Development Inc.
PO Box 820
Sedalia, MO 65301